Thursday 29 March 2007

Terroirs & Signatures de Bourgogne, 28th March 2007


I attended the Terriors & Signatures de Bourgogne tasting yesterday, held at Operaterrassen, Stockholm, during the Muskänkarna dedicated session between 18:00 and 19:30. There were 23 producers at the tasting.

Highlights for me were Maison Thomas Moillard who had some nice drinkable Pinot Noirs, especially the Gevrey-Chambertin, la Croix des Champs, 2004 which I could have happily drunk then. I was told that they are gradually converting over to organic growing, including making viticultural decisions according to the phases of the moon. In addition, I found out that a lot of their very old 90 year old vines have recently been replanted and that the new vines's roots follow the same path as the ripped out vines which was something I didn't know before.

Other wines I enjoyed were Bouchard Aines & Fils Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Cras, 2004, Domaine Parent Beaune 1er Cru Les Epenottes 2003, Domaine AF Gros Chambolle-Musigny 2004, Domaine Michel Prunier et Fille Volnay 1er Cru Les Caillerets 2004 and the Chateau de Fuisse Pouilly-Fuisse Vielles Vigne 2005.

Almost all of the wines on show need some age to show their best, to allow the new oak to integrate, and the tannins to soften.

Website : http://www.franskaviner.com

No comments: