Thursday, 13 December 2007

TN : AltaCima 6.330, Premium Reserve, 2003, Lontue Valley, Chile

AltaCima 6.330 refers to the height of the Parinacota Volcano that is part of the Andes mountains overlooking the vineyard. The vineyard is situated at the mouth of the transversal valley of the Lontue river. The soil is muddy and clayey and rich in volcanic ash. The climate is semi-arid Mediterranean.

The grapes were hand harvested during the last week of April and the first week of May 2003.

There was a cold maceration for 6 to 8 days at 6 degrees. Alcoholic fermentation was in steel tanks, took nine days, at 27 to 34 degrees. Afterwards the wine was left to macerate for 15 to 20 days.

The wine is a blend of 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Merlot, 10% Syrah, and 5% Petit Verdot. 60% of the wine has been aged in French oak barrels (Nevers/Vosges/Troncais), with one third new oak and two thirds in second and third use oak, for 14 months. The other 40% was matured in stainless steel vats.

The alcohol is 13.9%, TA is 3.38 grammes per litre, and the pH is 3.71. The wine has not been filtered or cold stabilised.

The back label states that the cellar life of this wine is between 2005 and 2013.

This wine was imported by Sydamerikaviner HB.

This wine received 93 points at the International Wine Challenge 2006, held in London.

Colour : Brown/red

Aroma : Oak, blackcurrant, spice, plum, cold tea, tobacco

Taste : Blackcurrant, oak, warm finish, spicy, tobacco hints, drak fruits, plush tannins but slight drying on finish, nicely balanced

Alcohol : 13.5%

Price : 158 SEK

Mark : A-

Website : AltaCima
Website : Sydamerikaviner

No comments: