Tuesday 18 August 2009

First Venture into Viticulture


Last weekend, I bought my very first grape vine. A black grape variety called Frankenthaler, a member of the vitis vinifera family. Today, it consists of a single cordon with three spurs. I will re-pot and add supports before pruning back to just two spurs in the winter in the hope of producing about four clusters next year. From what I have read, and my intimate knowledge of the Swedish weather climate, the vine should do best indoors and will be fine to remain "in pot".



According to the instructions that came with the vine, it flowers in June, needs full sun (preferably South facing) and protection from the wine, fertilising in early Spring with a fertiliser rich in Calcium or Potassium, and the earth should be kept moist but not too wet. I hope to see some ripe fruit in September.

1 comment:

Benjamin Emerson said...

What's not to like about short, energetic and uplifting music lyrics that comfort us in times of trouble?Uplift yourself now with over 100 printable gospel lyrics. Your Everything - Keith Urban Every track is enjoyable and was pretty easy for me to listen to from start to finish.